Senior Backend Engineer
Remote · San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2024
Kyte is a Series B technology platform that brings magic and seamless delivery into the experience of getting a car in cities for any trip longer than a rideshare. We unlock the freedom to go places by committing to relentless customer centricity, technology-powered operational excellence and capital efficiency. The sky's the limit when it comes to Kyte.
At Kyte, we love what we do and we believe our diverse team of ridiculously ambitious individuals is what makes our company unstoppable. We are a transparency first, egoless, and down-to-earth group of people, scattered across the globe, with a true passion for the Kyte mission. No matter where you are or what you are working on, you will have a significant level of ownership and impact on our company's trajectory and growth into the future.
Help us unlock the freedom to go places!
About the role
As a Senior Backend Engineer, you will build reliable and scalable systems from day one that handle tons of data points, match our booking requests, dispatch vehicles, calculate ETAs and much more. Both in real-time as well as in batch. You’ll be responsible for architecting the next phase of Kyte’s technology stack. You will work closely together with the product and operations team to develop features, architect and design systems and ship products to our users, partners and internal stakeholders.
What You’ll Do:
- Work on high-impact projects and innovate new solutions to provide the best rental experience possible
- Contribute to new architecture designs to fit Kyte’s growing marketplace challenges
- Identify, discuss, document, and communicate technical improvements within your area of responsibility
- Support, improve, and reinforce Backend/Engineering standards and guidelines
- Work cross-functionally with Engineering, Product, Operations, Finance, and other teams as applicable
- Leave the code in a better state than when you found it (progressive refactor)
- Participate in code reviews to ensure code quality and distribute knowledge
- Coach and onboard team members
- Minimum 5+ years of software engineering experience
- Full-stack background (you have developed backend services, RESTful APIs, API design, and server-side flows)
- Experience with Python, Java and/or Go
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science, related field or equivalent technical experience
- Experience working in an agile setup using continuous deployment and delivery
- Ability to architect and design modular and scalable systems (micro-services, event-driven architectures, resilience patterns)
- Advanced expertise with unit, integration, and end-to-end testing
- Hustling-, hardworking- & shipping-products attitude: Go above and beyond to get things done!
- Ownership: You are a self-starter and are satisfied by owning large chunks of the product roadmap
- Ambition: You are ridiculously ambitious and want to get the most out of your career
- Experience architecting microservices (Go, Python) and workflows (Temporal) at scale
- You’ve worked with systems that use spatio-temporal data for location-based production experiences
- Extensive experience with AWS or related cloud providers
- You’ve built and improved on database architectures, data warehousing/lake solutions, or related tech
- Experience with containerization (eg., Docker, Kubernetes)
How we work:
- Our Engineering teams work with weekly Scrum sprints
- Our Backend is written with Python using Flask and PostgreSQL
- Our Frontend is written with Typescript using React and React Native
- We have the mindset "you built it, you run it"
- We ship code to production (AWS) several times per day using Gitlab CI/CD
Perks and benefits
• Comprehensive Medical, Dental, & Vision Health Insurance (Individuals 100% Covered, Dependents 80% Covered)
• 401(k) Retirement Plan
• $200 Monthly Commuter Benefit
• $75 Monthly Flexible Wellness Benefit
• Annual WFH Stipend (Remote Employees)
• Annual Learning and Development Budget
• Paid Github Copilot license
Don't meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every single requirement. At Kyte, we're building an inclusive, diverse, and authentic workplace, so if you're excited about our vision/mission and this role caught your eye - we encourage you to apply! Don't worry if your previous experience doesn't match perfectly, you may be the right candidate for this role, or even another role at Kyte!